Job and his sofa

In these past weeks we´ve been buying big houshold items like a sofa and bed. Purchasing such items in a different culture has its strange experiences. We chose the bed, and we're then told it would need to be sorted for us in the workshop. A few days later it arrived but with no back legs and a variety of problems. Four days later they came back with back legs but these were higher than the front ones. They took bits away again, and eventually got it right. We went to another shop and selected a sofa. A replica of the one we chose was to be made for us, and after four weeks it arrived but turned out to be different from what we had seen. The workshop is now making another one which should be ready in a month´s time.

Again, weeks ago I rang up to get a broadband internet connection. "You don´t have the right documents" the telephone company said. A week later I had them and they then said "We need a technical report." A week later they said, "There is still no technical report, we can´t start doing anything until Mayl". So I decided to get connected with the ordinary slow connection using the phone line. They arranged that, but it didn´t work as they had a technical problem. Today they said I would have to change my password, but that couldn´t be done just now, call back tomorrow....

I´m 6 weeks into my internet teaching course from a Colombian University, and the main example I´ve admired in the tutor is patience. People just don´t get agitated like we do. They laugh, they cry and they insist on things, but I can´t recall anyone loosing their temper.

It makes me wonder where the exact geographical location of Job was.

Guess the Incas had to send back some of their bricks too


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wonky couple of days

Dangerous ground in Parliament Hall

MacDonalds in the Seminary