Laughter in the New World

Classes have started: lecturers and students have that glow that comes from enthusiasm. At 7 a.m. I have 28 students on Johannine literature, at 10 a.m., 25 students on hermeneutics and at random times another 4 groups doing different dissertations. Life couldn't be pleasanter. Cynicism, short-cuts and short-tempers haven't yet surfaced.

Most classes have their heretic, funny man and dolly bird. For days we've been debating the inspiration of the Bible. Today I was asked to state my position. The problem with doing that is, this being Latin America, 95% of the students will be frightened to question it lest I fail them on principle. Society and church life often operate on the recognition of the caudillo: the boss man you cross swords with only at your peril. So I said my position was identical to that of the Seminary's, which caused some hilarity. Why, I don´t know.

Latin America still has a New World sense about it. Daily you feel it's adopted Spanish culture, underlying lawlessness and potential for anything. It's a privilege to be here.

Photo: Hermeneutics class minus the dolly who's hair wasn't quite right

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wonky couple of days

Dangerous ground in Parliament Hall

God's providence is my inheritance