Customs target regular verbs

Christians from the USA must be the most generous donors in the world. Even in small ways we experience their kindness. BibleWorks Software in the US produce a book-sized laminated sheet of regular Greek and Hebrew verbs as a crib for students. At the end of last year Jim Barr kindly sent me a package of them and it was marked as being of $2 in value.

- They arrived at the beginning of January in Bogotá. But this attracted the attention of Customs Officials who charged an import duty of $1 and sent me a bill.
- As we didn't spend $300 to fly down to Bogotá to collect them immediately, the Customs fined us an extra $1 for storage.
- Olwen went to pay the money in the bank but after a long wait the cashier said she didn't know how to fill in the form.
- The next day I put on my Indiana Jones hat and went to another bank whose cashier filled out the form and the money was paid.
- We phoned Bogotá again who said they would be sent to Medellín, but after 6 weeks they hadn´t arrived.
- So we phoned Bogotá again who said they were in Medellín, however I'd need to present my ID card plus photocopy, the Customs' letter and the bank form.
- The Office Boy from the Seminary went to the Post Office with these documents. But they said that wasn't enough.
- The Seminary receptionist then prepared a letter by which I authorised the Office Boy with his ID card to use my documents to collect the regular verbs.
- It's 12 weeks since they arrived in Colombia and I'll definitely get them tomorrow, I hope.



"The devil is in the detail", or bureaucracy frustrates good missionary intentions.

Photo: Poster telling people what to do if they get caught in a volcanic eruption (Ecuador)


Comments

  1. Hi,

    I stumbled unto your blog and I read this post and chuckled to myself in agreement. My wife and I are serving God in Mexico, and we can empathise with your mail difficulties waiting 6 months for wine gums!! We're both from N. Ireland and are church planting in Mexico with OMS. We'll continue to check your blog, and it's been a pleasure reading it!

    God Bless,

    Jonny Pollock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement Jonny, its appreciated, keeps us going. Blessings for your own ministry and safe arrivals for the wine gums.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonky couple of days

Dangerous ground in Parliament Hall

MacDonalds in the Seminary