Flat round shiny things

Three weeks ago we suffered the modern missionary's nightmare: a bust computer. Yes, okay, I know the apostles and Augustine managed pretty well without such things, but...

I headed for Monterrey, a commercial centre that was a money laundering focal point for drug barons not too long ago. It's now pretty legal and consists of about 80 computer shops. I chose a respectable looking establishment, told the technician what I wanted including proper software. "We only provide illegal copies" he said, and explained the reason: "The police don't investigate home computers".

I then remembered my computing experiences in Moyobamba near the Peruvian selva, where houses, that just about had electricity, could have the most expensive of software. And yesterday's paper reported that the majority of computers in Colombia run with pirated programs. I don't have the heart to enquire where some of my students get their expensive software from.

But it motivated me to contact a popular Bible software company to provide legal copies for sale on campus. We can do it, although there could be a problem: Their program costs almost the equivalent of a month's wages for a Colombian.

It isn't easy, but the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. And we bought a legal computer at our local supermarket, but unfortunately they ain't big on Bible software.

Olwen adamantly denies any idea of inspiration when at her computer

Comments

  1. Online Bible no good for the students ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonky couple of days

Dangerous ground in Parliament Hall

MacDonalds in the Seminary