Jimmy the hairdresser


Missionary life is one of learning to make many small adjustments. And after a year or two life in the foreign country becomes normal. At least on 95% of occasions.

One simple thing that always seems to cause me problems is getting my hair cut. It's cheap and Latins are skillful, but my experiences have been problematic. At one the lady employed such strong arm tactics with my head that I wince every time I pass the place; at another the hairdresser was so absorbed watching TV that I ended up with an unusual lopsided style. And a recent one was so dirty that my stomach churns thinking about it.

So it was to new premises I turned, my ninth different one in the city. The microskirted girl called for "Jimmy" as I went in. With Rangers playing their big match I felt this was a good omen. Until Jimmy arrived, with his one earring and distinctive walk and talk. I noticed that the theme colour of the establishment was pink.

As Jimmy tended my hair, I pondered about why missionaries bother. It is that Christ came into the world to save sinners. And we're pretty high up the list to start with.


Photo: Easier to cover your hair with a hat?

Comments

  1. Oh tell me about it David !

    I am only in France, but for the first year that I was here I clippered my hair. However I am so plug-ugly like that I just had to go to the barber (actually a salon).

    The lady asked me if I wanted my hair washed (shampooing) but I had never heard the word pronounced before and declined her offer, telling her I was driving ! ( it is pronounced shore-pwang )

    Now I have been in France almost three years, my fringe is below the bridge of my nose and I am trying to pluck up courage to go and get it cut again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Alan. Impressive blog as well:

    http://daveys2france.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND - I had my haircut on Friday.

    The young girl in the swanky salon said "Je vous écoute." (OK, I'm listening - dynamic equivalence...)

    I said "C'est trop long".

    So she cut it shorter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonky couple of days

Dangerous ground in Parliament Hall

MacDonalds in the Seminary