Your money or your wife


It had to happen sometime with living in Colombia . And it did on Sunday night: being held up at gunpoint. What no one imagined was how it would end.

Early on Sunday evening we were walking along a quiet residential street when a motor bike and two youths drew up beside us. One dismounted, pointed at gun at Olwen and said, "I'm wanting necklaces and gold rings." For the first time ever Olwen was rendered speechless. Her mind went from the awfulness of loosing her wedding ring to being shot. Typically, I hadn´t being paying much attention: it was such a pleasant evening. So I hadn´t see the gun, thought the fellow was wanting to buy such stuff from us, and responded, "I'm very sorry, we don't have anything."

At this the assailant stared at us and then said, "You´re foreigners, aren't you". "Yes" I replied cheerily. He smiled at us, got back on the motorbike and they roared away.

If I'd seen the gun or if he'd seen my wallet and camera, I would be writing a different story. But this is what happened. Thank you Lord.

By the way, Murdo & Christine are getting on so well, we're thinking of hiding their return ticket.

Photo: Bikers everywhere in MedellĂ­n: but who are the goodies and who are the badies?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonky couple of days

Dangerous ground in Parliament Hall

MacDonalds in the Seminary