Yellow Warning Signs


Husbands will appreciate the crisis I found myself in: I was 15 minutes late meeting Olwen, and so was dashing along a busy shopping mall. In my hurry I caught a yellow “Piso Humido” (Wet floor) sign and knocked it over. Colombians are scrupulously clean and forever mopping down pavements and putting these things up.

I apologized profusely to the two elderly ladies nearby and replaced the sign. I dashed on and almost immediately knocked over another “Piso Humido” sign. They are quite solid things and cause such a clatter. Unfortunately, Colombians also have loads of rules and an armed security guard approached me. But now he apologised to me for the placing of the “Piso Humido” signs, putting them to one side.

80% of missionary work is learning to respond appropriately to life situations in a new world. Next week I’m to take a 4 day Seminar on using art in the service of the gospel. I thought it would be easy as students will be working on producing something themselves. But it means coordinating with a dozen Colombian staff and 80 students: and that’s the part that’ll be tricky.

Photo: Outdoor facilities: if in need, how do you respond appropriately to this situation?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wonky couple of days

Dangerous ground in Parliament Hall

MacDonalds in the Seminary