Not what was planned


On Thursday I almost fainted and on Saturday I fainted while attempting to eat a boiled egg. It turned out I had Dengue Fever. Olwen was relieved at the diagnosis: nothing sinister and thousands have had it in Colombia. I suspected there would be a catch somewhere. On Monday it turned out my blood clotting platelets were falling, I was hospitalised and fainted again. There is no cure for Dengue – that’s the catch.

Being hospitalised means two of you in hospital: the patient and the assistant (Olwen). You have your own room which includes a sofa bed for the assistant. She does all the simple nursing stuff day and night. As Dengue is a mosquito transmitted disease I was isolated under a white mosquito net. The paid nurses came and gave me drips every few hours, the doctor cheered me up and thankfully some of you prayed.

My platelets continued to fall for two days, but just when things became dangerously low, levels started to rise. At the end of the week we were sent home looking like Oxfam adverts. I am now on sick leave, my classes have prematurely finished, we’re selling our things and leave for Scotland on 1 December.

It’s a rush, an inconclusive departure and not what we had planned, but I guess the Israelites said the same when the Exodus came.
Photo: Clínica Las Américas: home for a week

Comments

  1. golspiefc3:17 pm

    Glad to hear you're out of hospital and hopefully on the mend. Let us know if you would like a quiet place up north to find your feet again.
    (may be a couple of places open to you(?)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wonky couple of days

Dangerous ground in Parliament Hall

MacDonalds in the Seminary