Marxism, Christianity and the Royals

The day before the Royal Wedding was spent in Edinburgh.  In the morning Olwen met up with Daphnie and Ruth,  and in the evening we went to Fiona Christie's farewell.


So I spent part of the time visiting an unknown Edinburgh.    Beside the Palestinian Fair Trade shop I found a plaque to Alexander Whyte, the Bible expositor, and a bust of R S Candlish,  the Disruption churchman.    Under a railway viaduct I saw one of those historical plaques.  
On a dirty viaduct wall

I'm not sure what to make of the Royal Wedding:     Connolly would have attacked its opulence,   Whyte and Candlish its hypocrisy.  Meanwhile,  I shivered my way through our street party grateful that the prayer has been answered, "long may she reign over us".



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wonky couple of days

Dangerous ground in Parliament Hall

MacDonalds in the Seminary